<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I made some cookies last night, a friend needed some cheering up. If you knew me real time you'd learn I almost never make a recipe the same way twice, there are a few things I don't mess with but in general I don't like stifling the creative juices with absolute directions from a cookbook.
But you can try this if you like. They turned out pretty well. I took the regular chocolate chip tollhouse recipe you find on the back of any bag of chocolate chips, and added:

4TB finely ground good quality coffee with an equal amount of boiling water added and then steeped for 5-10 minutes (this softens up the grounds a little). If you used expresso grind I think they'd be even better. Add immediately after the eggs have been mixed in.

An extra 1/2 cup flour (recipe calls for 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 c.)
An extra 1 teaspoon baking soda (recipe calls for 1 ts)
A bag of Toffee chips (add when you add the chocolate chips)

Bake as directed.
Any good names for these welcomed in the comments.

Also on a cooking note, I got a pork shoulder roast on half off sale and tossed it in a zip lock bag last night with chimayo chile powder, kosher salt, oregano, cumin, a bit of sugar, some cabernet left over for cooking, some onion and hickory flavored salts. I'm going to slow roast it as for carnitas this evening.

Anyone want to come over and eat?

(like I said, I tend to mess around with stuff. the carnitas ended up with the following added after the initial roasting in the marinade and tearing apart the meat into chunks: a couple of tablespoons of honey, 1/2 cup apricot nectar, 2 ts chipotle chile powder, more salt, 3/4 c. milk. apparently the roasting at the end with the milk is supposed to make it classic carnitas. The end result was a lot less greasy than taco trucks carnitas and had quite a lot more flavor in the meat. I was pleased!)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?