<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 10, 2005

A Latvian contemporary composer speaks to his music in context to the survival of the human species....
"When I think about contemporary life, it's impossible not to realize that we are balanced on the edge of time's end. It's frighteningly close. but is there any point in composing a piece that only mirrors our being one step away from extinction? To my mind, every honest composer searches for a way out of the crises of his time--towards affirmation, towards faith...if I can find this way out, this reason for hope, the outline of a perspective, then I offer it as my model. I go through pessimism finally to confirm at the end that I say 'Yes' until my last breath to the beauty of the world."
--Peteris Vasks

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?